The email and news client used by the Internet Explorer web browser is Microsoft Outlook Express. The program is a light version of the Microsoft Outlook email client program. However, it offers efficient features and tools for most users’ basic emailing needs. The only issue is that you may lose mails from the programs in case it happens to crash unexpectedly. Do not worry though; the instructions provided here will help you restore the files easily.
- Open the Outlook Express program, and click on the Tools button on the top menu bar.
- From the available options, click on Options. Then, click on Maintenance.
- In the box that appears, click on the Store Folder Find out the location of the folder where your files got deleted from.
- The files may include outgoing messages or sent mails. Jot down the specific name of that folder.
- Close the Outlook Express program now.
- Access your desktop by minimizing all windows. Look for the Recycle Bin icon here and then double click to open it.
- You will see a list of option on the left pane of the Recycle Bin From here, click on the Restore most recent sent items (.bak files) link. Close the Recycle Bin window now.
- You need to open Windows Explorer You may right click on the Start button and click on Explore to do this. Navigate to the location that you noted down earlier using the Store Folder option. If you are not able to access the folder, open the Find option from the Start Menu and look for the folder.
- Once you have accessed the folder, enable access to hidden files and folders. For this, click on Tools from the menu bar and then select Folder Options. Click on the View tab and click on the checkbox adjacent to the Display hidden and system files
- Keeping the Folder Options window open, uncheck the box labeled Hide extensions of known file types. Close the Folder Options
- Rename the Sent Items.dbx and Sent Items.bak files as dbx and Sent Items.DBX.
- Open Outlook Express now and you will find the messages restored to their respective locations.
Note that you do not require access to the internet to restore deleted files from Outlook Express using this method.