Regular use of the computer accumulates a number of unwanted data in the browser and the hard drive. If the system becomes cluttered above a certain level, it can make the computer and its programs run slow, affecting productivity and performance. Calling a technician or tech support provider in such cases is unnecessary, as you can learn how to increase computer speed by performing some simple tweaks.
Remove Web History
- Clearing the web history increases your web browser’s performance.
- Open the Internet Explorer program using the desktop shortcut or from the Start menu list.
- Click on the Tools menu found in the main toolbar. Select the Delete browsing history
- Similarly, if you are using the Firefox browser, hover the mouse over the History option and select Clear Recent History.
- The disk cleanup program helps remove unwanted files and Windows components from the computer.
- Click on the Start button. Type Disk Cleanup into the search box and press the Enter
- The program will calculate how much memory it can free up in the computer.
- You will see a list of items that can be removed from the computer. Deleting any of these files will not harm the computer in any way.
- Select the items you wish to delete. You may uncheck the boxes next to items you do not want to delete.
- Click on the Ok button to run the program. Wait for the files to get deleted.
- Presence of adware, spyware, viruses or Trojans can affect the computer’s performance adversely.
- Open your anti-spyware program. If you do not have one, download any reputed anti-spyware program from the internet and install it.
- Update the program for latest virus definitions.
- Run a full computer scan. If you have much data in the computer, it can take some time; wait for it to complete.
- Quarantine or Delete any of the infections found after the scan.
- Open the Start menu, enter Disk Defragmenter in the search box and press
- Analyze the drives in the computer by selecting them and clicking on the Analyze disk
- If any of the drives needs to be defragmented, click on the same and select Defragment disk.
You have now learnt how to increase computer speed easily by performing some simple cleanups. To prevent issues with the computer’s performance in the future, perform these tweaks periodically and keep the computer safe and sound.