Windows Update error 643 is an annoying thing to deal with. All you would have wanted is to install updates to make your computer run more safely and smoothly, but issues such as this can hamstring all efforts until you remove them from the scene. Assuming that you got it when trying to update the .NET Framework, and not because of accumulated logging information, following are a few things that you can do to resolve the Windows Update error 643.
Fixing The Registry Corruption For The Update
The MSI software registration may have gotten corrupted somehow, in which case you will need to visit the update and then download this again. Alternately, try updating Microsoft Security Essentials, and then reinstall the .NET Framework update. If this does not work for you, then proceed to the next method.
Repair The .NET Framework
For this, you can download and use the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool online. This toll repairs versions 4, 3, 3.5 SP1, 3.0 SP2, and 2.0 SP2. There is an older version of the toll that also fixes Version 2 of the Microsoft .NET Framework. If this does not resolve the issue, then proceed to the next method.
Uninstall And Reinstall
The cleanup tool can be used to install multiple versions, and then reinstall the missing or corrupted components.
- Access the cleanup tool by choosing Open. Then choose Extract Now and open exe. At this time, you may need to verify admin privileges with a password, so do that. Hit Continue.
- When you see Do you want to run the .NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility?, hit Yes, and then once more to accept the license agreement.
- When the Product to cleanup window comes up, choose.NET Framework – All Versions, and then hit Cleanup Now. In versions of the OS where it is an OS component, the framework will not be removed.
- After the framework has been removed, restart the PC.
- Go to Windows Update and check for the updates that you are missing. Download the .NET Framework update and reinstall it.
If it is installing the update that the computer has a problem with, then find and download the update link as a package and install it in clean boot mode. This should dismiss any interfering programs and let you complete the installation successfully.
This was on how to repair Windows errors with the installation of .Net Framework updates. Find more posts here on resolving related issues.